What is the February birthstone?Amethyst is the legendary birthstone for February, the stone of the sixth wedding anniversary and the lucky stone of Pisces, symbolizing honesty, wisdom, spirituality, calmness, peace and tranquility, and is known as the “stone of honesty”.
Everything about the February birthstone: Amethyst show
1. Amethyst propertiesAmethyst is derived from the Greek word Amethystos, meaning “hard to get drunk”. Main component of this February birthstone are silica, hardness 7, specific gravity 2.65, and refractive index 1.54-1.55. They are transparent, but usually have natural ice cracks or white impurities. The amethyst crystal is the most valuable member of the crystal family. Raw amethyst cluster US$39, SHOP NOW.
February birthstone colorViewed from different angles, natural amethysts show a beautiful purple tone with a little blue or red, due to such minerals as iron and manganese. Other February birthstone colors include lilac, red, crimson and light or dark purple, among which dark purple amethysts and red amethysts are the best. The amethyst color has long been thought to be caused by the mixing of iron or manganese, titanium and other elements; but when heated to 240 ~ 270 ℃, the purple color will fade to brown or yellow-brown; And since after exposure to the Röntgen radiation, the original purple color can be restored, it is believed that the amethyst color is caused by a defect in the internal arrangement of atoms.
2. Distribution of the amethyst crystal in natureAmethysts are widely distributed in nature, and the main production areas include Uruguay, Brazil, Russia, South Africa, and Madagascar. Amethysts from Uruguay have the most beautiful and valuable shade of purple. It looks like a very deep, delicate purple color with a burgundy “fire”. In addition, the smaller size of Uruguayan amethysts makes them more suitable for sculpting and creating a variety of eye-catching amethyst jewelry; Therefore, they are a must-have item in fine jewelry stores around the world, especially when buyers find out that they are close to being discontinued. In addition, the Minas Gerais pegmatite deposit in Brazil has a long-standing reputation for its high volumes and quality of amethyst. However, the amethyst color from Brazil is not of the highest grade. Most of amethyst crystals are either too light in color or too drak with a slight black tint, but occasionally you will find high quality ones with a nice shade. The majority of amethysts on the market today are from Brazil. Pomellato 18kt rose & white gold amethyst ring $1,750, SHOP NOW.
3. Beautiful legends and cultural references of the amethyst stoneAmethyst is the “guardian stone of love”. In Greek mythology, the god of wine Bacchus, was so angry with the goddess of the moon Diana after a big fight, that he sent a tiger to take revenge. But the tiger later met Amethyst, a young girl who was on her way to see Diana. And to prevent Amethyst from being killed Diana turned her into a crystal statue. After seeing the statue, the god of wine regretted and his tears fell on the statue, which turned the crystal statue into purple. In the legend, amethyst’s ability to instantly sober the impetuous god of wine, Bacchus, suggests that its clear energy has long been associated with dignity, balance, inner strength and calmness. As a result, it was believed that wearing amethyst would allow one to enjoy the sweetness of wine without the pain of drunkenness. This is why amethyst was made into wine glasses in the Middle Ages. The ancient Romans, following Greek legend, also wore amethyst rings to avoid drunkenness at parties. Generally speaking, the amethyst is used as a stone to deal with a hangover in the past, decorated in men’s jewelry and clothing, and as a lucky gem too, especially for performing artists. Nialaya Jewelry amethyst necklace $169, SHOP NOW. Amethyst is also the symbol of the God Frey, associated with sacral kingship, virility and prosperity. It is said that the stone can transform sexual vitality into spiritual vitality and therefore plays a great role in solving sexual problems and finding suitable mates. The ancient Romans used to perform rituals, in the month of February, to cleanse sins and pray for undead; therefore, the amethyst, as the birthstone for February, was regarded as a symbol to prohibit adultery, prevent destruction and maintain honesty and reason.
4. February birthstone meaningsAmethysts symbolize tranquility and safety and are able to bring inspiration and wisdom to the wearer. Another implication of the stone is love, as mentioned above, a very helpful gem to increase charm and attractiveness and thus promote relationships. In summary, we can think of this February birthstone as a stone of mystery, romance and elegance.
5. Amethyst healing propertiesKendra Scott short pendant necklace in amethyst $50, SHOP NOW.
Amethyst physical healing properties: the brow chakraThe amethyst stone has powerful physical healing properties and corresponds to the brow chakra in the seven chakra system. Therefore, it can promote the activity of brain cells and make our brain work faster and more efficiently, thus helping us to focus and enhance our memory. For those who need to use their brains for long periods of time, such as students and office workers, it is ideal for wearing jewelry made of natural amethyst. In addition, placing the amethyst crystal under the pillow while sleeping will promote cellular activation of the cerebellum, right brain and central nervous system, thus eliminating insomnia and improving the quality of sleep. However, since amethyst is very powerful, there is no need for people who sleep normally to do so; otherwise it will be counterproductive.
Amethyst emotional healing propertiesAmethyst represents love, passion, and hope. For those who are troubled, amethyst will bring peace by removing emotional wounds with its compassion and healing power. It can also be used to calm your mind when you are agitated.
Amethyst metaphysical propertiesAmethyst is a symbol of love and is known as the “guardian stone of love”. It promotes courage, honesty, as well fidelity between lovers or husbands and wives. Many couples do not get along with each other because of the low quality of their sex life; Fortunately, the amethyst stone is associated with virility and prosperity, can transform sexual vitality into spiritual vitality and therefore is very helpful in solving sexual problems.
6. Where to buy amethyst stones and amethyst jewelry?If you want to buy amethyst stones and amethyst jewelry ranging from $0.5-$100, you can check Etsy. You can buy a raw amethyst stone, amethyst beads or amethyst jewelry, like a amethyst ring and a amethyst bracelet that are affordable and of high quality and have them delivered to your house fast. Alternatively, if you want to buy high end amethyst jewelry ranging from $100-$2000, you can check Farfetch. They have luxury brands like Gucci, Prada, Boucheron, Cartier, Chopard, David Morris, De Beers as well as designer brands that are unique and less well-known. You can also have all the products delivered to your home.
7. Cleansing and purification of amethystThe standard way to cleanse and purify amethyst crystals is to use kosher salt, since it does not contain common additives such as iodine. How do we do it? If you use large grains of kosher salt, then simply put the salt on a plate or dish and then bury the stone within the salt for about 24 hours. Reminder, it can be longer than 24 hours, but not shorter. This is very effective and can last up to 3 months with a single purification, also called 100-day purification. If we use small grains of kosher salt instead, we need to prepare a liquid in the ratio of 10 grams of kosher salt to 500 grams of water, and put the crystal into the liquid and soak it for 24 hours. Since the small grains of kosher salt are less energetic, you can carry it for about 1 month continuously for one purification.
8. Care and maintenanceVery importantly, amethysts cannot be exposed in a high temperature environment, which means that such stones cannot be purified by sunlight. At a certain temperature, amethysts fade to a purplish yellow color, which is definitely a loss in value. Therefore, in daily life, be careful to take amethyst jewelry off before you get to hot ovens, soup pots, bathroom full of water vapor, sunbathing, etc. Attention should also be paid in any other similar activities.
9. Extra information: Meanings of purple in jewelryPurple is a color that symbolizes nobility, as well as melancholy, mystery and charm, representing prestige, wisdom and elegance, a color that we can’t bear to forget. Amethyst as a February birthstone is the most popular purple gemstone we find. Bvlgari the Magnificent Inspiration collection: 12 sassi cut amethyst. In the past, purple was regarded as the color exclusively for the nobles. This was because the purple dyes and clothes made from them, commonly used by the Tyr in the Roman Empire, were only for the monarchs to wear, and they favored this color very much by at that time. In the Byzantine era, emperors from the royal family would add the phrase “Born To The Purple” to his title, demonstrating his orthodox origin, as opposed to the monarch who obtained the throne by other means. In Christian culture, purple represents the supreme power from the Holy Spirit, symbolizing sacredness, honor and love. For example, the main color of Advent (waiting and preparation for both the nativity and the return of Jesus) is purple, and in celebrations, people will accordingly use purple tablecloths and candles. When it comes to everyday life, purple also represents eternity, typical purple gemstones such as amethysts, represent eternal and pure love. Purple is also full of romance, fantasy and mystery, making people curious and feeling beautiful. However, it also represents uncertainty, which means people who like it can be extremely sensitive and introverted. Purple is also a color commonly used to embody melancholy and loneliness. If you find that your friend is into purple recently, then you are expected to accompany her.
ConclusionThank you for reading this article on the February birthstone, I hope it helps you get the information needed. Feel to share your thoughts below or check other articles on birthstones that we have published: Birthstone chart: Birthstones, history, characteristics, meanings, care and cleaning.
amathyst amethyst amethyst birthstone amethyst color amethyst crystal amethyst healing properties amethyst meaning amethyst metaphysical properties amethyst properties amethyst stone amythest birth stones birthstone birthstone colors birthstones birthstones by month black amethyst feb birthstone february birthstone february birthstone color february birthstone meaning green amethyst pink amethyst raw amethyst what color is february birthstone what is february birthstone what is the birthstone for february what is the february birthstone
What's Your Reaction?